Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week 9

             I probably have about 5 projects started around the house. I try every weekend to get one done, but I somehow can't seem to accomplish any of them. So, this weekend's plan was to not turn on the television. At all. No exceptions, even the marathon of one of my favorite shows. I would have done really well, if it weren't for March Madness. I didn't turn the TV on, but it seemed to be on everywhere I went. My good friend's had some people over Friday night. I went, but it was to see friends, not really to watch the game.
Anyway, I've always been really good when I have a deadline. I remember writing the final paper for my History of Rock and Roll class in college the night before it was due. I stayed up all night and walked into the room at 8:02. I was the last in line to turn in the paper, but there was still a line so I wasn't late.
My friend Annemarie's son, Cameron, had his first birthday party today! I, of course, choose to make him something. Note, the New Year's resolution was to make something each week. It didn't promise it would be something different.  I wanted to make him a tie shirt, but I want to try something new. I want to dye the t-shirt. I took inventory of the fabrics I have on hand and decieded to try a teal color, kinda gender neutral, right?

The process was much simpler than I had thought it would be. I filled a bowl with hot tap water and added about a tablespoon of salt. I added about half a bottle of RIT dye, and put in two white onsies and two white t-shirts. I made sure the fabric was completely saturated and then I "stirred" it about every 15mins for about an hour. It came out darker than I planned, so next time I'll just take it out sooner. A simple wash and dry and the color is set.

I've tweaked my tie shirt process with each one I've made.
 I apologize for those of you that received earlier models.
The new ones are much better!
I've turned the edges of the tie under so they won't fray or look choppy when I used my pinking sheers.

Cameron is a pretty cute kid. His mom is one of my oldest friends, she's not old, we just been friends a long time. We worked at King's Island together back in high school... back when work was fun!
Dyed T-shirt with coordinating tie, Done!


No comments:

Post a Comment