Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Week 8 Project

       My youngest brother, Cy, is smart. He heard I was sewing more seriously and a light bulb went off in his head. Ah, free labor. My sister wouldn't charge me. I'm only 17. Around Christmas he asked me to turn his jeans, which were a standard boot cut (is that what normal dude jeans used to be?) into straight leg (almost skinny) which is sooo cool these days. He asked if that was something I could do. Trying to impress him with my mad skills, I said yes without thinking about it. Way harder than I thought but I did it and he liked them. I should have never started this.
     I went over to the house two Sunday's ago for dinner. We were watching TV and Cy casually sat down next to me, he waited a few mins and then "Hey Laura, do you think you can fix my jacket?" His basketball jacket, which I'm sure is worn a lot, needed the cuffs repaired. They were holding on for dear life.
Before
After
I fixed the jacket and wrapped it up for his birthday this past Sunday. I'm pretty sure I'm funny most of the time!

Now, my aunt Julie is the queen of garage sales and thrift stores. She has the patience and keen eye that make her a hawk in those places. I  keep telling her to quite her job and shop. Put the stuff on eBay or open a store or become a personal shopper for people. She found her granddaughter, Grace, white furry Gap boots at Vally Thrift for $3. She's really good at thrifting. The last time I was at her house, Liz showed me some shoes that were in new condition that her mom got her. They would have retailed for over $60 and Julie was a little shocked by a thrift price of $14! So she gave me a pair of $3.99 pants she got that she needed hemmed. She needed 2" taken off the bottom. I returned them to her without taking a picture (oops) They aren't perfectly even, but hopefully she won't be able to tell when she's wearing shoes.

A week of mending. Done.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing- I wish I had your talent there so so many things I would do with it!

    AND....Yes! You pulled a Mr.Statcus? (think 8th grade science)-- opps you said. remember the story of someone who was going to be so clever and paint oops on the underside of the canoe they made but instead painted opps?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, now I have to edit the post so no one will know what you're talking about :)

      Delete