Friday, January 13, 2012

Getting to...

      Earlier this week my cousin/roommate told me she had heard some mice in the house. Awesome. I bought some mouse traps, but didn't set them before I went to work. The next morning I'm brushing my teeth and notice a mouse staring at me from the dining room, wiggling his nose like he owns the place.

        Side note. I hate mice..rats, ferrets, guinea pigs, gerbils basically any rodent type creature. They all have fur and claws. That's not natural. Claws and wings, cool. Scales and claws, cool. Fur and paws, cool. Fur and claws... creeps me the you know what out. I can't even really type about it any more.

     I set the traps and thought " this week's probably gonna get better" I have got to stop tempting the universe like that. I woke up today to a fairly chilly bedroom, which isn't too odd in my 82yr old house. I get out of bed and the room isn't chilly, its freakin freezing. Guess what. The thermostat is set to 68 and its 58. I head into work (I work second shift) and call the heating and air guys (who know me by name) to ask them come out in the morning.
   
   I got off work, came home and discovered that since the weather has taken a nice deep dip in temperature, my house is now 46. Space heater and Coffee in hand I head into the sewing room and wait for 8am. I've been sewing, or attempting to,  the last three hours. When I last ventured out of my one warm room, the thermostat said 46. Yay Me!

  
The sewing machine is from 1970something, pre my birth. I'm fairly familiar with this Singer of my mom's. I've been around it from a young age, but we're not super close. I've barely looked at the manual and have basically just turned knobs and buttons until the thing does what I want. Occasionally, it rebels. Simply won't sew anything acceptable. I'm sewing fine and then, I'm not sewing fine. I've changed nothing, but the machine says "you can't make me" and the darn thing is usually right. I can't make it. I had to resort to hand stitching. Not my fav.
the machine's idea of a proper stitch at 5am.
     
trouble shooting a 30yr old sewing machine at 5am

 Does the eye of the needle look blurry to you? Yeah, me to. 

  
Did I mentioned I made a pot of coffee? Well, it turns out you should not drink a pot of coffee in the span of 2hrs if you plan on hand sewing something. My hands were shaking so bad that I had to give up. I put on three more layers of clothes and went out of my relatively warm space heated room to watch TV till the heating guy shows up.

     I heard the fan for the system kick on about three mins before the guy called to say he was on his way. I checked and discovered a new development in the saga that has been this week. Heat was coming out of the register. I had done nothing. The guy found nothing. Thanks man, here's your check.

...Week 3 project to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment