Monday, January 9, 2012

Week 1 Project

         The post may be late, but the creation of my project was right on schedule. I was fortunate enough this Christmas to receive a GPS from my Great Aunt Claire. (She is a great lady but she's also my dad's aunt, making her a "great" Great Aunt, but I think that's just awkward to say.) If you know me, you know that this gift is really more of a gift to my friends then to me.  I am notorious for not being able to find my way back to a place I've been before, especially if I went during the night and I'm now trying to find my way during the day. Is there a medical condition to explain that? Seriously, its almost impossible. I'll have no recollection at all. Hopefully now they can just give me an address, without directions, and I will be able to find my way. We'll work on the "on time" part in 2013. 

Well, now that I have this precious GPS, which I probably should have gotten 8 years ago, I want to protect it. I know my GPS's feelings would be hurt it I threw it in a bag or glove box and didn't worry about scratches on the screen. I know I could head to some mega electronics stores to buy one, but where is the fun in that? I'm now of the mind that I would much rather make what I could buy.
(Within reason of course. I won't be making, say, all my meals. That would be crazy.)

I picked out some super cute retro fabric that was one sale. I decided on this project to try my hand at some things I haven't done before. I bought batting, the fluffy stuff in quilts, to cushion Gretchen's screen. Oh yeah, I'm calling my GPS Gretchen. I sewed a few lines up the center of the case and voilà, my modern take on quilting.







For the closure, I wanted a flap of fabric I could tuck inside. It turned out shorter than I planned, so I'll be adding a snap soon. I also tried something new on the flap. I desperately want a serger, but since they are $600 and I have yet to find a rich husband, I'll be working with what I've got. I zig-zag stitched the very edge of the fabric. I was fairly frightened that my sewing machine, which is really my mom's and older than me, would somehow self destruct. Miracle of miracles, it did not. I will be perfecting this skill in the future!

                        GPS Case Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment