Sunday, April 22, 2012

Week 15 Project

I watch a lot of YouTube videos. A Lot. Most of what I know is from the internet or TV.
I bragged on Facebook awhile back that I could hem a pair of jeans, without actually knowing that I could, you know, 'cause I saw it on YouTube.

Sooo, my first attempt was on my cousin/roommate Lia's jeans.

I folded them to what will hopefully be the correct length. We measured, but then I remembered that I needed to pre-wash them. When I got the energy to actually do the hemming in the middle of the night and I didn't want to wake her.... Fingers crossed.

I watched one video that showed that hammering the inseam will help it flatten out so that its easier for the machine to whiz over. I figured that it couldn't hurt. Sure, anyone driving past my porch at 2:00am seeing me hammer jeans, while wearing my pjs might wonder, but my question to them is where are you going at 2:00am on a Sunday night? Never mind, I don't wanna know.






 The seam before and after.



 I stitched right along the inside of the old hem. I'm pretty sure this is called a Euro hem. See, you can't even see my stitch. At the end of the process, the old hem will still be at the bottom of the pant and the new stitch will essentially be hidden. I like that the original, usually gold colored, thread is still at the bottom of the jeans.
Hem Lia's Jeans. Done.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I still don't have a clue how you did this, but they are definitely different lengths. You may want to consider hemming both legs though. Haha... I'm hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These posts were never meant to be tutorials Kim. If I gave you all of my knowledge, then I couldn't hold it over your head. :) I trust you to wrangle that iphone away from your son and do your own research!

      Delete
  2. Oh I wasn't saying that you should post tutorials... I just like seeing the before and afters. Besides, if you posted tutorials, then I couldn't just ask you to do it for me. :) Love the BOT bag by the way!

    ReplyDelete